Nashville Curves is successfully launched and completed. I’m so excited that the Facebook page is up and running. We have more than 100 active members and we are growing by the day.
If you haven’t noticed, I haven’t been pumping out the blog posts like usual. Why? I’ve hit a blogging plateau. A rut, some might say. Like me, has your blog traffic decreases? Instagram followers not growing? Facebook likes, dwindling? Then this post is for you! Much like writer’s block, a blogging plateau is when the content you create isn’t bringing the readership you desire. Basically, you sit in front of your computer like, “WTF am I doing and why isn’t it working?!” That’s where I am.
With more than 10 years in the game, I’m half tired, a third happy, and kinda disappointed in my success. At one time my blog was ranked NUMBER ONE on Google for, ‘Top Style & Fashion Blog – Nashville’. I know, right?! Then one time i was voted one of Nashville Scene’s ‘Most Interesting People‘; a spot previously held by the UBER-successful blogger, happily grey. You couldn’t tell me I wasn’t about to get a million dollar deal! I can speak on many other accolades I’ve received, but that’s not we are here for.
What we are here for is some tips to help you (and me) get out of our slump. Seriously, it’s a frustrated place to be. Especially when you know you want to give the people MORE than a cute look and sponsored post. #NoShade because I got a couple sponsored posts in the pipeline. But what’s the point of soliciting brands if the readers don’t care. SO, I had to do my googles and help myself find some inspiration. Below, I have THREE tips to get you out of your Blogger Funk.
- Remember why you started – I know its MAD cliche but it’s real. If we continue to get caught up in the numbers and the popularity you give yourself a heart attack. Yes, I need the readers to read, to like, and to share but not at the sake of my sanity. I started this blog to help women realize fashion is for THEM no matter your size. Sometimes, the goal changes. But your core beliefs should not. No matter what I am blessed to experience, my aim is to share my life with an inspirational and motivational tone. As the internet says, ‘Stay in your lane AND slay in your lane’.
- Take tips from your faves – After remembering why I started, I had to research some of my FAVORITE bloggers turned business women. Each of these women encompass traits that I want to improve upon: building nationwide brand recognition, transiting to other forms of media (books, magazines, & podcasts), while being amazingly STYLISH. Claire Summers (Fashion Bomb Daily), has amazing style while operating the TOP 10 style blog on Google. Blogger and Motivational Influencer, Mattie James mixes motivation and style to encourage followers to find success. Franchesca Ramsey has been in the game for over a decade (like me) and is now an author, host, and speaker, but previously a youtuber and graphic designer. And Necole Kane is just the FREAKING GOAT! She went from #gossipblogger to motivational maven all while PUBLICLY losing and internally winning. I read these women like the Bible and hope to build platforms that mirror their success.
- Set a goal, and stick to it! – After scouring the Internet for tips and tricks to get more readers to my blog and get more people to follow me on Instagram, the overwhelming advice was to BE CONSISTENT! Yup, good ol’ fashion hardworking is what will help you bring success. I used to blog three times a week. Haven’t kept that schedule. I used to post on Instagram three times a day. Haven’t done that either. What’s the point of asking for more follower if you don’t give them something to appreciate. The hard work will pay off.
- Dissect your analytics – Now, not to be too technical, but blogging is a combo of LUCK and science. As much as we can complain about changing algorithms and shady corporate moves, we are still blessed to have access to the NUMBERS. The numbers don’t lie. Take a look at your bounce rate, share stats, and audience engagement across the platforms. See any trends? See something you don’t like? Fix it! Yup, it may be hard, but it’s not impossible. Señora Google and Señor YouTube are always available to give you FREE advice.
- The best writers are READERS – Yup, don’t expect for someone to show you love if you don’t show others love. Don’t just follow your faves on Instagram, read their blogs, and subscribe to their newsletters (subscribe to mine). You may notice their tone and content make the reader feel a certain way. This may help you update your tone. Also, reading more helps you be more savvy with these paragraphs. BLOGGING isn’t dead, but well-written posts are hard to come by.
So, you’ll be seeing some changes in the next couple of weeks. Make sure to follow me on the socials and subscribe to my blog to get all this new and improved content. Also, drop suggestion in the comments to let me know what you’d like to see on this space. You CAN break the Blogging Plateau and I will too!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEW FAB FRIDAYnewsletter! I promise it’s short, sweet, and fabulous!
How do you produce amazing blogs when you have zero dollars in your bank account? Let’s talk about it! ‘I love us FOR REAL!’, but a lot of bloggers are BROKE. Don’t let these photos fool you. Sometimes, the blog barely gives you enough money for a cup of coffee. Below, I give you FIVE tips to help turn a profit, gain popularity, and not lose your mind in this #BloggerLife!
I’ve been blogging for almost 11 years and the number one question I receive is, “How do you make money by blogging?” I would love to fill the listener’s ear with stories about sponsored trips, mailboxes full of products, and closets filled with clothes. But truthfully it takes ALOT of hard work to get to that level.
Truth is, most bloggers make $3.50 a day! A recent survey of 1500 bloggers told the real story: 7% surveyed make $1000 – $10k a month, while 9% make over $10k but FAR less than a million (source). With more than THREE MILLION bloggers out there, you have to be really CONSISTENT to get to the top. Oh yeah, most bloggers have a FULL-TIME job (like me) and they blog! It’s tiring and It’s hella frustrating as you attempt to balance two lives while not comparing your blog to the girl who’s ‘not as cute as you’ but still posting pictures from Paris!
How much you could make would depend on several factors, including how often you blog, the quality of your content, how competitive your topic is, and how effective you are at building an audience and generating traffic. Plus a generous sprinkling of luck.
So let’s focus on the PLAN. Many think you need to have BIG BUCKS to create these gorgeous blog posts. And while that may be true, some practical techniques can get more eyes on your posts and more coins in your pockets. Let’s get started.
- Ask Questions, Make Friends, Join Groups – New blogger, new niche, or new routine? It’s time for you to ask questions and make friends. Before you write your first paragraph, identify bloggers in your niche. Send emails that ask SPECIFIC questions about growth and failures. Offer to buy them a cup of coffee for their time. Make friends with new bloggers, like you. Join blogging groups that discuss your frustrations. I gurantee these actions will help you save money in the LONG RUN. People are always eager to share stories of success and failure. Glean from them! BONUS: New blogger friends can be a source of sharing when it comes to equipment, photography, and ‘plus one’ invites to swanky activities.
- Teach Yourself – Yes, girl, USE THAT GOOGLE MACHINE! Before you could buy these blogging classes and online tutorials, you just had to RESEARCH. I taught my self some Level 1 coding, I taught myself how to use my iphone effectively, I taught myself how to edit photos, and even I taught myself how to do my make-up better. All by doing my googles and watching HOURS of YouTube! Whatever you are trying to learn, I gurantee theres a FREE way to figure it out. Then, revert back to step 1, ask a friend to help too.
- Join #TeamRepeat – When it comes to blogging, photos go a long way! Followers are visual and there’s no getting around the fact that you need photos for your blog. As a style blogger, I always feel ADDED pressure to give you the fashionable looks. When you are a NEW blogger, take a couple photos, and repeat them on your social media posts and EVEN your blog. The photos I’m using today, were used in a 2016 post about Nashville Fashion Week. Remember, everyday you are gaining new followers who have NEVER seen your photos or your posts. Repurpose previous photos, update older blogposts, and keep sharing links on social media.
- Write Guest Posts – Yes, want to get more eyes on your posts without spending money? Provide you blogging services to a business owner, family member, or fellow blogger. It’s a great way to make some quick cash and a way to promote your content. Also, as you practice your writing skills, it makes you more valuable to brands. They’ll know you are capable of writing great posts.
- Budget for your blog – As the saying goes, “you have to spend money to make money.” When I first started blogging, I spent way too much money too early in the game. When I revamped my blog, five years in, I set up a blog budget. I may not be able to afford my favorite photog for EVERY post, but I can save money to pay her for my most important posts. I may only have $50 to spend on my blog, I can buy new business cards or pay for my domain. Those are small money saving actions that can help you turn a major profit . . . in the long run.
- BONUS: MAKE A BLOGGING SCHEDULE AND STAY CONSISTENT! – even when I didn’t have fancy outfit of the day photos and I wasn’t getting invited to events. I still blogged FIVE DAYS A WEEK! The archives are there, take a look. I couldn’t afford Louboutin shoes (still can’t), but I did my googles, sourced some photos, did some research and wrote a post about Louboutin Shoes! That post got me invited to the Green Hills Nordstrom Grand Opening in 2011. If you are travel blogger, that can’t travel yet, write posts about your DREAM vacations. I’m telling you, it works. As I developed my niche and my interests, I posted less but with more intention. Still, my readers can expect at LEAST two posts a week. Try consistency before you spend a DIME!
You notice I didn’t talk about getting attention from brands. That’s a whole other topic that I’m STILL working on. But what’s the point of you EXPECTING a brand to use you, if you can’t build a following, write fresh stories, and use your resources? You worried about the wrong things!
If you can master the tips above, you’ll see your readership jump! Be more than a pretty face, help someone with your posts. Yes, girl, blogging is usually a hobby that turns into a passion project that CAN turn into a full time job. Blogging is frustrating, but if you stay consisitent, make friends, budget, and do your research, you’ll make it in the blogging game!
I believe in YOU! Did these tips help? Let me know in the comment section.
Also, wanna partner with me? CLICK HERE!
I know you see the date and, yes, I am posting this on Valentine’s Day. But, on fabglance.com it’s Jodeci Appreciation Day! About three years ago, I decided that the r&b group Jodeci should get way more love than we give them. I mean, if you were a black teen in the 90’s, did you NOT play ‘Forever My Lady‘ on insane levels? Did you NOT lose your biscuits when Diddy dropped the ‘Come and Talk to Me – Remix‘? And remember when a pregnant T-Boz (from TLC) made a cameo in the ‘Love You 4 Life‘ video? Ok! So, they deserve a day, and Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show Jodeci some love!
Last year’s #JodeciAppreciationDay song was, ‘My Heart Belongs to You‘. I dedicated it to all my Fab Family! I’m so happy to have readers and supporters who are interested in this #BloggerLife and support my endeavors. This year’s song selection is, ‘Come and Talk to Me’, and it’s dedicated to my crush. Y’all, I have a crush and it’s driving my banana-sandwich!
I’ve been watching you
For so very long
Trying to get my nerve built up to be so strong
I’ve never been very bold when it comes to love. I’ve never been afraid off a job, an idea, or even a clothing selection. But, ooh girl, bring up a love interest and I recoil like a scared turtle. It’s the fear of rejection that gets me! And, I know that we ALL get rejected sometimes, and ‘what God has for you is for you’. But, girl, listen, don’t nobody want to deal with a broken heart like that.
But, my word for the year is ‘courage’, and sooner (rather than later) I will get the nerve to tell ol’boy my feelings. I mean, I’m a catch, I know this. I just have to get over the fear-factor. I could be missing out on the love of my life due to some temporary embarrasment! That would be crazy!
I wish I could grab you
Tell you what it means to me
To see you walking by my way
It really makes my day
This leads to a deeper conversation; what would you do if your weren’t afraid? I know this is a Valentine’s Day post, but it’s a word for everyone. Even those of you in relationships, are you holding back on loving your partner because of fear? You trying to take your situationship to the next level? You thinking about marriage? Or, are you ready to leave? What’s stopping you? Don’t let fear be the reason why you don’t succeed.
My friends, let’s all agree to live boldy! Go and talk to that person you’ve had your eye on. Go for that job you think you can’t get. Take a scary step in your life and watch your life change. Good or bad – you’ll always learn!
Song: ‘Come and Talk To Me‘ – Jodeci
Oh yeah, I’m giving away a free download of my book, Jack and Ahlia, for the next 24hrs! Happy Valentine’s Day Fab Fam!
I’m not successful and I know why! And you’re not successful either, so let’s talk about it. I’ve been a blogger for NINE years, NINE! You’d think, within two years, I should be riding high on that sweet delicious blog money! I should have all the high-dollar collabs, photos popping, getting sent out to amazing destinations, and not giving the sad face to my skeptical bank account. But, in my new quest to get ONE MILLION FOLLOWERS I realized my behaviors have definitely stopped me from being farther in the game than I should be. And, because I want to help you do better in your endeavors, I thought I’d bring you along for the ride. Here’s the FIVE reasons why I’m not successful:
I’ve declared that I want one million followers. How is this gonna happen? Why am I making this declaration? I guess we can call this a continuation of last week’s motivation post, “Don’t Be Afraid to be Famous”. This week, I want to encourage you to speak the impossible over your life.
On Sunday, I was sitting in my rented townhouse, looking at my messy bedroom, while tapping back & forth between social media sites. I watched some of my fave youtubers, read some of my fave blogs, and looked at fashion shows featuring clothes I can’t currently afford and/or fit in. I was shook. It seems like everyone is doing better than me.
I know that’s not true. I know there’s so many peaks and valleys behind each beautiful photo and exciting video. There’s the fight with social media alogorithms, there’s ‘haters’, there’s self-sabotage, there’s ALOT of fear, and there’s just pure laziness And the goal seems so out of reach!
The Beyonce’s, Oprah’s, and pretty bloggers of the world make it look easy, when you KNOW it was hard. Over time, I realized … we aren’t any different than our fave celebrity or influencer (or lady that works down the hall who got the promotion over you), they just believed the impossible, walked through FEAR, and they worked harder than most.
So what’s your impossible? What seems so out of reach that you laugh at the thought of having it? I’m not talking about the give me a unicorn and a private island thoughts. I’m talking about, using your skills, interests, and talents, and turning them into something amazing. Who’s number one in your field? You want that top spot? What’s holding you back?
I’m a writer. That’s why I started this blog. I love words. I love telling stories. I love crafting content. Next, I love STYLE! Not just fashion but STYLE! I love to see someone who understands their look and has the confidence to flaunt it. Lastly, I love to motivate people. I truly believe the world is big enough for us to have want we need. You can be in the top ten. You can be an influencer in your field.
So, I want a million followers. Combined. I have an Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, TWO twitter accounts, Tumblr, and Youtube. This year, combined, I want to reach ONE MILLION FOLLOWERS. I’m speaking this declaration over my life because I know I have the talent, education, and savvy, to make it happen. No, I may not be the prettiest girl in the room, and I sure ain’t the richest, but I have the tools.
Guess what, you have the tools too! In the comment section, DECLARE YOUR IMPOSSOBLE. Wanna be the number one sales person in your company? Declare it. Wanna get 1000 views on your video? Declare it? Wanna be the mom who gets the kids to school, ON TIME, each morning? You got it!
I’m obsessed with podcasts! I listen to no more than 10 a week on a regular basis. So, when the team at the ‘Mirror, Mirror‘ podcast asked me to be on their show I was SO hype! I said, “yes!”, immediately!
The Mirror, Mirror Podcast is: “A weekly podcast about the beauty routines and philosophies of remarkable women from all walks of life.” The team, Jessie (the host) and Allison (the producer), reside in Nashville. Their goal is to get women to share that one thing that ties us together, our beauty routines! It’s nothing like asking a woman, “what do you use in the morning?” to get her to tell you her life story. Like, there’s a reason I drink Apple Cider Vinegar every day; let me tell you my journey! Lol!
Oh yeah, and Allison got me to spill the beans on my life, why I blog, and my skincare routine! Above are some of my fave things to use to keep my skin looking FLAWLESS! Listen, you don’t take as many selfies as me, and not know a thing or two abt healthy skin! Wanna know why I get most of my products from the International Market? I talk about on Episode 15 of the Mirror, Mirror Podcast!
I tell a bunch of hilarous stories too! From the reason why I got into blogging and how I was a bootleg stylist when I attended undergrad! I know y’all are gonna love my episode and the Mirror, Mirror podcast! Put it in your download schedule, and tell me what you think!
|photos by Ashtin Page|