It’s official, summer is here. As a plus size lady, those words can be a bit nerve-wrecking. Gone are the chilly fall & winter days with their lovely layers and deceptive dress codes. It’s too hot to cover-up but some think you are too fat to show it off. Well, they are wrong! That’s why I decided to start the #SHOWYOURARMS
campaign is about fashionable self-confidence during these warm summer months! Let go of that cardigan, cover-up, and jacket, just let your gorgeous arms show. I know, I know, you don’t have GUNS like Michelle Obama. I’m sure some of us would like a little less wiggle, forget the guns – and that’s OK! We are all works in progress. However, we have to stop letting those silly self-defeating thoughts dictate our comfort and fashion choices! SHOW YOUR ARMS
I love you guys (my readers and social media followers). You always send me emails and messages about how encouraged you are by my fashion choices. Believe me, even I have second thoughts when I put on certain items, especially the ones that show my arms. I’ve had fat arms since I was a baby. My WHOLE family (even the slimmest of us) have chunky upper arms, it’s just genetics.
I used to cover my arms all the time. I lived in the northeast, so summer didn’t last as long. But now, living in Tennessee, I can’t EVEN deal with this heat. These babies had to come out!
After a couple of times wearing my arms out, I realized, THEY ARE JUST ARMS! If someone has a problem with my fat arms: 1) They’ve never come up to me to say something and 2) Who cares!? They are my arms, I do what I want! There was so much FREEDOM when I just let it go. Years of me telling myself my arms were too fat and too ugly to be seen, gone as I was able to embrace lovely fashions that made the WHOLE ME look great.
I want the same for you!
The goal of the #ShowYourArms campaign is:
- Build self-esteem around the plus-size internet community
- Generate stronger self-worth with women in general
- Create an online community that increase awareness of plus-size fashion choices
Although this is targeted toward my plus-size family, I know several straight-sized women who have body image issues. Listen, women are routinely told that we aren’t ENOUGH. If you are straight-sized and want to #showyourarms, get in the game! Let’s all get free this summer!
Why should YOU #ShowYourArms this summer:
- Show your arms because it’s HOT outside!
- Show your arms because that outfit looks too fly to cover with a cardigan. Girl!
- Show your arms because God gave them to you and they are too beautiful to keep a secret!
- Show your arms because everyone else is doing it!
- Show your arms because who told you to hide them?
- Show your arms because they don’t want you to do it (MAJOR KEY!)
- Show your arms because you’ll encourage another girl to do it too!
So, how can YOU participate? I got you! Check it out:
Let’s let the world know that we are proud of our bodies, and we no longer feel the need to cover up!
Will you #ShowYourArms this summer?